Saturday, May 19, 2018

my birdbath


In the studio listening to my fabulous music, hard to sit still, want to dance around the room. Reading poetry and reading my images. They feel as one. 
Outside the cold rain continues and bids me to get brave and come join the shorebirds, maybe yes, maybe no.. But first I need to share this poem that I just discovered.

entitled
AFTER READING TOO MANY POEMS, I WATCH A ROBIN TAKING A BATH
by David Wagoner



She does it so devotedly
In the middle of her most ecstatic spasm
There seems to be no water 
In the murky birdbath at all.

It's all in the air
At once, all showering above 
Her paddling wings or running 
Among her feathers spread like fingers.

She crouches, puffs the white down 
Of her under breast as if settling
On something pale blue, and the water gathers
Beneath her, against her.

Now she thinks a long moment
Without thinking, stares 
North and south at the same time
At nothing.

And suddenly she's all done with it,
Up on the dripping edge, shaking
And sleek, alert, herself again,
Flying into hiding.

No comments:

Post a Comment