Sunday, February 24, 2013

in memory only

You need to be sitting down for this.

 When I first spotted the owls last night the light was waning. I went to get my camera but discovered my memory card was left at home. Beautiful night, beautiful owls and no useable camera. I let it go, breathed deep, light wasn't good anyway, and viewed them through my binoculars instead. They were together, than one would soar through the air to a far away limb. We would follow and find them only to have them soar again. It doesn't get any better really, to be out on a moonlit evening with friends, owls and human.

Are you still sitting down? 

The female landed on the tippy top of the tree, a beautiful silhouette against the sky. The male owl swooped down out of some mysterious place and landed on top of her, she dropped her head and he mounted her and spread his enormous wings over her. For the third time this week I was witnessing the mating of two birds. Later he flew below her and tucked himself along the bark of the tree trunk, disappearing once again.
There will be no image today, just shut your eyes and imagine...

I told you to sit down.

No comments:

Post a Comment