Thursday, April 30, 2015

partners


The day was finally warm and the bay flat calm, so I ventured into the cold water with my kayak for my first paddle of the season. Of course I crossed to the other side to check on our returning osprey. I sat quietly beneath the piers just "being" with them. He sat on the post and she sat on the nest. And then it happened, he flew with a wide low half circle and landed on top of her and mated her. His wings spread wide and his claws gripping her back. And then it was over. 
Yesterday Tully and I had a walk. In front of us a little group of leaves fell from the sky and landed within inches of us. Tully went to investigate and two very tiny black capped chickadees separated from each other and flew back to the upper branches chirping wildly as I watched with shock. The little bunch of falling leaves was in fact mating chickadees fallen from the sky.
Spring is amazing...

No comments:

Post a Comment